1. Get Started
- Go to https://console.firebase.google.com/
- Signin with a Google Account
If you login with a Google Account that is linked to a Google Play Developer account, you can link your Firebase Projects (and apps) more easily to your Android apps in the Google Play Developer Console. However, this is not a requirement to setup your Push Notifications for a Twixl app.
2. Add a Project
- Click on Add Project.
- Choose a Project Name (e.g. the name of your app:
My Magazine). You can also choose an existing Project to setup Firebase for.
- Choose a Project ID or accept the proposed one.
3. Setup your Firebase Project
- Click on the Gear icon next to 'Project Overview'
- Select Project Settings.
- Select the tab Cloud Messaging.
- Copy the value Server Key: it needs to be entered on the Twixl platform
ABOUT FIREBASE ANDROID AND IOS APPS:
In Firebase, you can setup an Android and/or iOS app. For Twixl apps, it is not necessary to create an iOS app here.
4. Generate your Android JSON file
- In Project Settings, select the General tab.
- Add an
- Fill in the Android package name (a reverse DNS name like com.mycompany.myapp), and optionally specify an App nickname.
- Click Register to continue.
- Download the
google-services.jsonfile and save this file. You'll need it in your build setting on the platform.
5. Enter API Server Key on the platform
- Go to the detail view of your app on the Twixl platform, then select Notifications from the top menu.
- Now paste the API Server Key in the correct field.
6. Add google-service.json to build setting
In the build setting for your app on the platform, select the
google-services.json file from Step 4 to add it.
7. Build your app
You have now configured push notifications for Android and are ready to create the build of your app.