The Browser Client is a third Twixl publishing platform. Next to the iOS and Android apps, you can now also offer the full article-based app experience in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.
ABOUT INTERNET EXPLORER FOR WINDOWS:
Internet Explorer is no longer supported. We strongly advise you to use Microsoft Edge, as this browser is officially supported by Microsoft and is much more secure.
ABOUT THE PURPOSE OF THE BROWSER CLIENT:
Please note that the Browser Client is not intended as a replacement for a mobile app, nor it is intended as a replacement for a normal web site. Its primary focus is to display all contents of an article-based app in desktop browsers. This is especially very handy for in-house applications (sales tools, marketing tools): if not all employees in the company have access to a mobile device (that can host the internal Twixl Publisher mobile app), you can use the Browser Client to provide this content to these users.
How to activate the Browser Client?
- When you go to the Application Menu of an article-based app, you'll notice a menu item called Browser Client.
- Click on Enable Browser Client to enable The Browser Client for that particular article-based application.
Available options after enabling the Browser Client
- Try Browser Client: This will launch a new window with the Browser Client.
- Settings: The Browser Client of your article-based app has certain settings. Click on this button to setup your Browser Client.
- Disable Browser Client: You can always decide to deactivate the Browser Client for this particular app.
- Pre-render Content: This prepares all your content for fast viewing in the Browser Client. By default, the Twixl Distribution Platform will pre-render content on a regular basis in the background.
Browser Client Settings
Custom Domain: If you want to work with a Custom Domain Name, that's possible (a paid option, see below). Enter the subdomain here. Don't forget to first add a CNAME record to the DNS server for your domain (like
myapp.mydomain.com) that points to
browserclient.twixlmedia.com. A HTTPS (Let's Encrypt) certificate will be created automatically. The renewal of this certificate will be done automatically as well. Good for your ease of mind!
- Google Analytics Key: Built-in Twixl Distribution Platform analytics are not available yet. But you can always setup a Google Analytics Key in this field.
Apple App ID: Safari has a nice tool in iOS 6+ that provides a standardised method of bannering apps on the App Store from a website. The Browser Client has built-in support for that.
You need your app-id from iTunes Connect. To find your app ID from the iTunes Link Maker, type the name of your app in the Search field, and select the appropriate country and media type. In the results, find your app and select iPhone App Link in the column on the right. Your app ID is the nine-digit number in between
- Next, you need to copy-paste that nine-digit number in your Browser Client Apple App ID field.
- You need your app-id from iTunes Connect. To find your app ID from the iTunes Link Maker, type the name of your app in the Search field, and select the appropriate country and media type. In the results, find your app and select iPhone App Link in the column on the right. Your app ID is the nine-digit number in between
ABOUT GOOGLE ANALYTICS:
Google Analytics for our Browser Client are actually Firebase Analytics but Google still calls them Google Analytics (that's confusing, we know it).
To generate a Google Analytics Key:
- Login to analytics.google.com
- Create a new Property of the type
- Add a View for
Webto the Property
- If needed, you can link this new Property to the old native Google Analytics property you used before. Look for the option User existing on-page tag
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT CUSTOM DOMAINS:
Custom Domains is a paid option: