When you add a new app on the Twixl Distribution Platform, the following information should be entered:
- Application Name
- Application Title: Use this to customize the title shown in the home screen of your app. Leave empty to use the application name
- Application Identifier: This should be a reverse DNS name like com.twixlmedia.appname - only lowercase characters, numbers and dots should be used.
- Application Icon: Upload an icon that will be displayed in your app list - it will be resized automatically
- Support Email: The email address where a copy of the support emails should be sent to.
- Application Type: Article-based
- Mode: We advise you to do all your testing in 'Development' mode. Once you are ready to go live with your iOS/Android app you can convert the 'Development' app to a 'Production' app.
When you select 'Edit application' after your app has been created, a number of extra app options can be set.
- Search: See this article for more info.
- Supported orientations: Set the orientations you intend to support - you can make a different choice for tablets and phones.
- Toolbar Fonts: Allows you to select custom fonts - see more on this below.
- Google Analytics Keys: If you use Google Analytics in your app, enter the keys for iOS and Android here (either two different keys, or the same key for both).
- Hamburger Menu: See this article for more info.
- Colors: Set toolbar background color, toolbar foreground colors (i.e. for displaying the title), toolbar tint color (for navigation actions), app tint color (for messages in the app).
- Prompt for App Store Rating: Prompts the user to rate your app in the App Store.
- Allow Collection Download (>5.5): Add the possibility for readers to selectively download content for offline access. See this KB-article for more info.
- Keep All Data Offline (>5.5): With this option enabled, an article-based application will be forced to download all available content when booting for the first time. With this option you can mimic the behaviour of a legacy single-issue app. See this KB-article for more info.
- Sharing on Social Media: When allowing sharing on social media, users can share articles.
- Encrypt PDF Files (>5.6): Enables on-the-fly encryption for PDF content items. That way, PDF files are protected on mobile devices (most relevant on 'open' systems like Android).
- Externally Managed Content: Enable this when you have an external system that manages the content. This puts the content items and collections of your app in read-only mode on the Twixl Distribution Platform. For more info, see this article.
WARNING ABOUT PDF ENCRYPTION:
Keep in mind that this option requires an article-based application built with Twixl Publisher 5.6+! If you activate this option, without providing an updated application, your readers will no longer be able to read the PDF Content Items in the older app!
In article-based apps, you can use custom fonts.
To upload your fonts, select 'Custom Fonts' from the app's top menu.
When adding fonts, you can either add Truetype (.ttf) or OpenType (.otf) fonts. Once the fonts have been uploaded, you will be able to select them if you edit the application options.
Make sure you have the proper licenses for your fonts that allow you to distribute them digitally.
The Google Fonts option is a great feature to easily customize the look & feel of your article-based app.
It's available from the Custom Fonts option in every article-based application. Google Fonts are free to use!
If you want to learn more about Google Fonts, see this web site.
You can search & filter and then select the Google Font you like. When choosing a particular Google Font, it will be downloaded and added to your article-based app.